If you have a U6 error code showing up on your Samsung washer display, you will no doubt be wondering what it means and whether it’s serious.
You’ll be pleased to hear it’s one of the most simple problems to fix, and one that you can take care of at home without an appliance technician.
- What Does A U6 Error Code Mean
- Fixing Samsung U6 Error Code
- Verdict: U6 Error Code On Samsung Washer
- Samsung Washer Models Covered
What Does A U6 Error Code Mean
The U6 error code indicates instability within the motion of the washer. More often than not this is due to an unbalanced laundry load that can be resolved quickly.
However, there’s also a chance that this message indicates something more serious such as mechanical failure with the drive belt system or drum suspension.
Samsung U6, UB, and UE Codes Are All Similar
U6 and Ub are the same error code. In fact, there is actually no U6 error code on Samsung washing machines; rather, it’s a Ub error code. It’s a common misunderstanding, the alphanumerics are confusing and the letter ‘b’ appears as the number ‘6’.
The UE error code is also related to an unstable load causing irregular movement on the drum.
Fixing Samsung U6 Error Code
1. Uneven or Twisted Laundry Load
If your Samsung washer is displaying a U6 error code, the first step is to check for an unbalanced or twisted laundry load.
How to Fix
Uneven Load: is caused by loose items bouncing around inside the washer drum, such as running shoes or perhaps a single heavy item like a bath towel
Twisted Load: is caused by long items such as the legs on denim jeans or bedsheets. They tangle and gather on one side of the washer drum
Alternatively, it could simply be garments with ties or laces twisted around them causing the problem. You can resolve this by placing these items in wash bags to keep them contained.
2. Over or Underloaded Washer
The wash load should be neither too small nor too big. The U6 error code can be displayed when you put only a few clothing items inside the machine. It can also show up when you fit as many clothes as possible inside the washer.
How to Fix
Stay Under Weight Capacity: All washing machines have a drum maximum weight capacity. Check the load is below this weight threshold.
Underloaded: A washer drum containing too few items will leave excessive water sloshing around, hitting the side of the drum. This prevents a smooth spin and alerts the washer to potential mechanical damage. To solve this place a few heavier items in the drum such as bath towels.
3. Washer Is Not Standing Level
It’s critical to place your washing machine in a level position, otherwise, you’ll soon find yourself staring at the U6 error code in the middle of an incompleted wash cycle. This can happen if the machine is not horizontal to the floor, or if the machine is unstable and rocks or wobbles.
How to Fix
- Use a bubble level to find out whether the appliance is level, to the horizontal position
- Then place your hands on opposite corners of the washer and rock it back and forward, side to side and diagonally to check there is no movement.
- If there is movement, tilt the washer and adjust the feet by screwing them in to shorten or unscrewing to length and adjust each corner, until the machine is stable.
4. Worn Drive Belt System
When the washer machine enters its spin cycle, it will report a U6 error code if there’s a problem with the spinning motion. The spin is powered by a drive belt system, which consists of a rubber belt and drives the motor and some rollers or guides. If these components are faulty, worn or broken, the spin will be irregular and trigger the error code.
How to Fix
If the drive belt in your Samsung washing machine is damaged, you will have to replace it. Before you assume that a replacement is needed, it’s important to first inspect the belt. Here’s how you can do it.
- Grab a screwdriver and remove the screws on the back panel of your washer.
- You will now see the rubber drive belt wrapped around the washer drum and motor pulley.
- Remove the belt with your hands and check it thoroughly to see if there are any visible signs of damage.
- You might see signs of cracking, fraying, or burning. If you do, you will need to replace the belt.
5. Worn Shock Absorbers
If you recently noticed that your washer is shaking or wobbling during wash cycles, chances are it’s a sign of worn shock absorbers. An additional tell-tale symptom is loud knocking noise while the appliance runs its cycle.
Shock absorbers are hydraulic components filled with oil, designed to soften the lateral movement of the drum as it spins and has a dampening effect. As they age or wear the oil inside can and reducing their effectiveness.
It is also possible that the connecting brackets fixing the shock absorber to the drum has become loose or snapped, causing excessive movement.
You can test the shock absorber by moving the washer drum side to side and up and down to feel for too much play or trying to identify a soft shock absorber. You can also check the seals around the piston arms to look out for oil leaks.
How to Fix
To replace the shock absorbers in your Samsung washer, you will first need to make sure that the machine is not plugged into a power source. After you do that, follow these steps:
- Set the washing machine on its side.
- Use a screwdriver to remove all screws that secure the front panel.
- Remove the front panel, and you will see the shock absorbers underneath the drum.
- Remove the screws and bolts that secure the absorbers.
- Take out the faulty shock absorbers and install replacements.
Watch the video below for a visual guide on how to replace shock absorbers in your Samsung washer.
6. Damaged Suspension Springs
If your washer is making a clunking noise and shakes heavily during a cycle, there may be a problem with the suspension springs. These components connect the drum to the main framework of the washing machine providing further stability and preventing the machine from shaking when spinning.
How to Fix
Begin by removing both the front and top panels, this will give you access to the underlying springs that are connecting the drum to the main housing
Once exposed, simply unhook them and fasten them in a new set. We recommend changing all of the springs at the same time to maintain an equal level of tension on each corner of the machine.
7. Damaged Dampening Straps
The shock-dampening straps are components that are found in the top 4 corners of your washing machine. Their main purpose is to decrease the movement of the tub.
How to Fix
- Before you begin the process of replacing the dampening straps, you should first make sure that your washer is not plugged in.
- Remove the retaining screws that secure the control panel.
- Remove the control panel, as well as the front and top panels on your machine.
- You will now see the dampening straps, made out of rubber, connected to the tub.
- If they show any signs of visible damage, you should replace them.
8. Loose Counter Weights
The counterweights in your washing machine are essential for balancing the tub during its spin cycle. Made from concrete, these blocks possess enough weight to keep the appliance firmly pinned to the ground.
If a loud banging sound is coming from your machine it may be the concrete counterweights hitting the inside metal panels of the washer.
How to Fix
- Start by making sure that your washing machine is not connected to a power source.
- To access the counterweights, you will need to remove both the front and the top panels on your Samsung washer.
- Make sure to also remove the control panel. You’ll need a screwdriver to unscrew all of the screws that secure these panels.
- You will see the unmistakable concrete blocks around the front of the tub.
- Use a wrench to remove the bolts that secure the counterweights if you want to replace them. Otherwise, you can try to better secure the weights with your wrench if they are loose.
Here’s a great video on how to remove counterweights in your washing machine.
Verdict: U6 Error Code On Samsung Washer
There are 8 steps that you should take to fix the Samsung washer U6 error code. It’s best to start with simple solutions to see whether you can fix the problem in a few minutes. If they don’t work, you should move on to the more complicated solutions, like inspecting the shock absorbers and suspension springs.
Samsung Washer Models Covered
The solutions provided in this article apply to a wide range of Samsung washer models. In case you see a U6 error code displayed on your machine, you will be able to fix it by following the instructions in this article. These fixes apply to the following Samsung washing machine models:
Andy has over 8 years of experience working on residential household appliances, performing diagnostics, and repairs across most major brands. He graduated from the Denver Institute of Technology, is NASTeC certified, and has worked for Mr. Appliance. Andy has contributed to features on major publications including Better Home & Gardens, Family Handyman, and Yahoo.com.