Let’s face it: you count on your kitchen appliances to be dependable. So, when something like a dishwasher isn’t working as it should, it can upset your daily routine.
One of the top brands for many homeowners regarding dishwashers is Bosch. However, even a Bosch dishwasher can experience problems from time to time. Don’t worry! Sometimes, it needs a simple reset to get it running smoothly again.
In this article, I’ll show you some simple reset procedures that will help you reset your dishwasher so that your dishes fresher than ever.
- 3 Simple Ways to Reset Your Dishwasher
- How to Reset Bosch SHE5AM Dishwasher
- Why do Bosch Dishwasher Need Resetting?
- Resetting Bosch Dishwashers FAQs
3 Simple Ways to Reset Your Dishwasher
Bosch manufactures a wide range of dishwasher models, each with different features. Depending on which model you own, your dishwasher will have either a “cancel drain”, “start reset”, or “hard reset” function, which will allow you to reset the unit.
1. Models Featuring “Cancel Drain” Function
As its name suggests, the “cancel drain” feature stops a dishwashing cycle already in progress. If you’ve accidentally put in the wrong wash settings or started a cycle without loading all your dishes, you can use the “cancel drain” feature to stop the dishwasher without damaging it. It gives you the flexibility to change your mind.
Any water inside the dishwasher is automatically drained out after you’ve cancelled a cycle using the “cancel drain” feature. That means there won’t be any water stagnating inside that could cause bacteria growth and unpleasant smells. Draining the water means your dishwasher stays clean and ready for next use.
But it isn’t just bacteria and foul odors the “cancel drain” function prevents. Because any stagnant water is automatically drained away after cancelling a cycle, there isn’t any danger of electrical malfunctions to your dishwasher.
How to Reset Models With “Cancel Drain”
- Find the “Cancel Drain” button on your dishwasher control panel.
- Press and hold the button for up to three seconds.
- When the LED lights begin to flash, release the button.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully reset your dishwasher using the “cancel drain” feature.
2. Start Reset Function on Bosch Dishwashers
Some Bosch dishwashers feature a “start reset” option. This is a special function that lets you stop and reset the dishwasher while it’s going through a cycle.
The “start reset” feature, like the “cancel drain” feature, is handy when you suddenly realize you’ve chosen the wrong wash settings or need to add more dishes once a cycle has started.
This reset option is also ideal if you experience other interruptions like power outages or accidentally open your dishwasher door during its cycle. Be advised that there is a danger that overusing your “start reset” feature could waste water and energy. It can strain the appliance if used too frequently, especially during the heating phase of your dishwasher’s cycle.
If you stop your dishwasher using the “start reset” function and forget to resume the cycle, you may also end up with unclean dishes because any detergent still left in the machine won’t get used.
So, while the “start reset” function is a handy feature of your Bosch dishwasher, it’s essential to use it wisely to get the best results.
How To Reset Bosch Dishwasher Models With “Start Reset”
- Find the “Start Reset” button on your Bosch dishwasher.
- Press and hold the button for approximately 3 seconds.
- Once the reset cycle has started, release the button.
3. Hard Reset Function on Bosch Dishwashers
Unlike the “cancel drain” or “start reset” functions mentioned above, the “hard reset” function isn’t a button on your dishwasher panel but a manual process that disconnects and then reconnects your dishwasher from its power source.
The purpose of the “hard reset” is to cancel any electronic malfunctions with your machine, like random error messages or an unresponsive control panel.
Because of this, the “hard reset” can save you the bother of calling in expensive professionals to make unnecessary repairs to your machine. It isn’t hard to do; the best part is it won’t cost you anything!
However, if you find yourself repeatedly having to resort to the “hard reset” function, it might indicate a deeper problem with your dishwasher. In this case, a qualified repair person may be needed.
Meanwhile, here’s a quick three-step guide on hard resetting your machine. Or you can also check out this instructional video for some handy how-to visuals:
Don’t forget, when working with electrical appliances, safety should always come first!
How To Reset Bosch Models With “Hard Reset”
- First, switch off your Bosch dishwasher.
- Next, carefully disconnect your dishwasher from its power source. Leave the machine disconnected for around 5 minutes.
- Reconnect your dishwasher and switch it back on. Your dishwasher should now be reset.
Bosch continually updates its range of kitchen appliances. Depending on your region, the year it was manufactured, and the model of the Bosch dishwasher you own, the type of reset function will vary. To get an up-to-date list of Bosch dishwasher models and their various reset functions, check out Bosch’s official website at Bosch-home.com. Always refer to the specific product manual when confirming any details.
How to Reset Bosch SHE5AM Dishwasher
If you own a Bosch SHE5AM dishwasher, you should know that its reset function differs from other Bosch models. Don’t worry, the process of resetting a Bosch SHE5AM is just as easy.
- First, switch off your Bosch SHE5AM dishwasher.
- Press and hold down the “>” and “Start” buttons at the same time.
- Next, turn on the machine, holding down the buttons until you see the “Clean” LED light appear.
- Release the “>” and “Start” buttons. Your Bosch SHE5AM dishwasher should now be reset.
Why do Bosch Dishwasher Need Resetting?
Like other appliances, dishwashers can also suffer the odd electronic glitch or unexpected shutdown. Things like power outages, clogs in the machine, or even using the wrong detergent can affect the performance of any dishwasher. Resetting, however, can often be a cheap and easy solution to getting your appliance back on track.
Essential Factors Before Resetting Bosch Dishwashers
- Always remember safety: Make sure your dishwasher is fully off before attempting a reset.
- Check your water supply: Always ensure your valve is turned on.
- Check your drainage: Make sure there aren’t any clogs in your dishwasher that could prevent a reset.
- Check your power source: Always ensure a steady power supply so your reset isn’t disrupted.
Resetting Bosch Dishwashers FAQs
Why Is My Bosch Dishwasher Not Resetting?
If your dishwasher isn’t resetting properly, it may be due to a deeper problem, such as a malfunctioning control panel. In this case, it may be necessary to seek a professional repairperson.
Why Is My Bosch Dishwasher Not Turning On?
A faulty power socket or a tripped fuse could be why your dishwasher isn’t turning on. If you’ve checked all the electrical connections and the problem persists, you may have to consult a technician.
How To Drain Bosch Dishwasher?
Remove any remaining water from the bottom of your dishwasher with a sponge or a towel. Afterwards, clean the filters well and check your drainage hose for any clogs.
- Twin Cities Appliances – How to rest a Bosch Dishwasher in 5 steps
- Howards – Easy steps to reset your Bosch Dishwasher
- Wikihow – Reset a Bosch Dishwasher
Andy has over 8 years of experience working on residential household appliances, performing diagnostics, and repairs across most major brands. He graduated from the Denver Institute of Technology, is NASTeC certified, and has worked for Mr. Appliance. Andy has contributed to features on major publications including Better Home & Gardens, Family Handyman, and Yahoo.com.